The Real People Boys

The Real People Boys
The Real People Boys!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Life lesson from one of my inspirations.

Today I want to reflect on a few things that I think pertain to everyone in this world.  It doesn’t matter if you are an athlete, a business person, a mentor, a parent, or even just a friend.  It is relevant to you if you are a human being.  As a person who is extremely involved in athletics, I often find my inspiration in that atmosphere.  But I am a firm believer that these lessons are very valuable to the world in general.  I want to give you my reflection of a speech that was given by a man that has influenced me on a daily basis.  Jim Valvano was a basketball coach at North Carolina State University.  He was stricken with cancer at a young age and passed less than 2 months after giving a speech that will forever be remembered in the world of sports.

The following suggestions came from that speech.  Coach Valvano believed that this is what we should hold onto:

Number 1:  Hope. What does hope mean, hope that things can get better in spite of adversity. No matter how dim the future may seem, you must never give up hope.

Number 2:  Dream. The importance of dreams is that nothing can happen if it is first not a dream.  If you have someone with a dream, you have a motivated person with a goal and a vision.  

Number 3:  Pride.  When a person has pride, they will fight to never give up on their hope and dreams.  They will be persistent and hard working.  They will believe in their cause and mission.

Number 4:  Love. Love one another.  We have a tendency in sports and even in life to not express this enough.  Why are we afraid or embarrassed by this?  If we combine hope, dreams, and then drive all of them with love for one another, then we will be full of kindness, morality, and good.  When you have all of these things you can accomplish miracles.

Another set of lessons that I retained from his speech is what I should do every day of my life to live out those values.  Here is what I believe everyone should do every day:

You should laugh everyday.  Laugh till it hurts a little.  The second thing is to think.  Don’t just act or respond, really think.  Go deep into your mind and lose yourself in thought for a period of time each day.  And finally, you should have your emotions move you to tears.  That could be from happiness, pride, frustration, or even sadness, but just make sure you let your emotions out everyday.  If you laugh, you think and you cry everyday, you have got a fulfilling day!  You make sure you do that 7 days a week and your are going to have something special.

Thank you again for taking the time to share life with us.
Peace and Success....The Real People Boys...Chris and Jeff

Please check out one of the things that inspire us to try to give you an opportunity to make your life better for you.  www.realpeople.124online.com

1 comment:

  1. I have learned that laughing and crying are the best medicine for my soul. I have had to learn to let the tears flow....but it's been worth every teardrop. Pride was my wall holding back my emotion. I certainly recognize a greater sense of happiness when I let my daily emotions be what they are...happiness, sadness, frustration and my favorite,LOVE.

    ReplyDelete